You don’t have to feel like you’re conforming when you buy one of the Best Rated laptops Under 500. There are laptops here that include Full-HD displays, solid performance, and long battery life, plus all the ports you need.
You can even get a touchscreen laptop in this price range, although it will be on the smaller side. Keep in mind that you will have to make some omissions when looking for a laptop for less than $500.
If you are looking for something for your child, check out our post about the best laptops for children .
The 5 Best Rated Laptops Under 500
Below we have selected the 5 best rated laptops under 500 which are high in performance and quality.
Acer Aspire 5
About this item
- Powerful Productivity: AMD Ryzen 3 3350U delivers desktop-class performance and amazing battery life in a slim notebook. With Precision Boost, get up to 3.5GHz for your high-demand applications
- Maximized Visuals: See even more on the stunning 15.6″ Full HD display with 82.58% screen-to-body, 16:9 aspect ratio and narrow bezels
- Backlit Keyboard and Fingerprint Reader: Biometric fingerprint reader and Windows Hello sign-in options help keep your Acer PC secure
- Internal Specifications: 4GB DDR4 on-board memory (1 slot available); 128GB NVMe solid-state drive storage (1 hard drive bay available) to store your files and media
- Acer’s Purified.Voice technology, features enhanced digital signal processing to cancel out background noise, improve speech accuracy and far-field pickup, which not only makes calls clearer, but makes talking to Alexa easier than before.
- Using Alexa on your PC is as easy as asking a question. Just ask and Alexa can check your calendar, create lists, play music, answer questions, read the news and more.
- Secure Operating System: Windows 10 Home (S mode) comes with advanced security features built right in, like protections against phishing and malicious software so you don’t have to think twice when navigating to a new webpage or downloading an app.
HP Stream 11
About this item
- STUDY, STREAM, SHARE: Between home, school and work, you need a PC that won’t quit. Post, play and stay productive all day with the affordable and portable HP Stream 11
- KEEP YOUR PROJECTS SAFE: Experience peace of mind that comes with the most secure Windows ever built with Office, Microsoft Edge, Bing Search, Windows Defender and more
- OFFICE 365 FOR ONE YEAR: Get full access to Microsoft Excel, Word, PowerPoint, OneNote, Access, and 1 TB of OneDrive Storage for one year
- PROCESSOR: Intel(R) Celeron(R) N4000 Processor, Dual-Core, 1.1 GHz base frequency, up to 2.6 GHz burst frequency
- DISPLAY: 11.6-inch diagonal HD AntiGlare WLED-backlit display (1366 x 768); 73% screen to body ratio
- MEMORY: 4 GB DDR3L-1600 SDRAM (not upgradable)
- STORAGE: 32 GB eMMC.
Lenovo Chromebook Duet
About this item
- This ultraportable 2-in-1 Chromebook includes a fast and stable plug-and-play detachable keyboard enabled with 5-point pogo pin and magnet design
- Take it with you everywhere! Thin and lightweight the Chromebook Duet offers up to 10 hours of battery life (2)
- The unique dual-tone design with aluminum alloy on the tablet is a standout design With sophisticated fabric texture on the stand cover you’ll be stylish productive and practical
- Fast secure and easy to use This touchscreen Chromebook boots up quickly with just your Google login to give you access to all of your cloud-based documents email and more
- With the 10 1″ FHD (1920 x 1200) IPS display and stunning colorful details you won’t sacrifice for great visuals! The 10-point multitouch touchscreen is also USI pen compatible (pen sold separately).
Acer Swift 1
About this item
- Brand New in box. The product ships with all relevant accessories
Lenovo Chromebook Flex 5
About this item
- Work from home, school, or anywhere with the outstanding combination of performance, connectivity, and entertainment enabled by 10th generation InteI Core processors. The Lenovo Flex 5 offers intelligent performance features that adapt to you for a personalized, intuitive, and responsive experience
- This 2-in-1 laptop combines a keyboard and touchscreen to make it easy to interact with everything on your display. You can also use the Lenovo digital pen (sold separately) to quickly write, click or drag files right on the screen
- The 13-inch FHD display in this slim, light 360° convertible Chromebook offers beautiful visuals, while narrow bezels minimize distractions. Two user-facing stereo speakers keep you immersed in the experience
- Use your Google account to easily access files, videos, music, and documents stored on the cloud from anywhere. With up to 10 hours of battery life, you’ll stay productive
- Connect with the built-in webcam, 2 USB Type-C ports, a USB Type-A port, and an audio jack. It also has the latest Intel Wi-Fi 6 and Bluetooth 5.0 a fast, reliable connection.
If you’re looking at the top of the list of the best laptops under $500, you’ll find the Acer Aspire E 15 and the Acer Aspire 5. Why? Well, Acer is pretty good at making cheap laptops and delivering top performance, so you will see an Intel Core i3 CPU in their laptops. The Aspire 5 even sports a premium aesthetic, with a silver aluminum casing. And both laptops have a wide variety of ports.
Looking for the best laptop for less than $500 and don’t know what to buy? We understand. Inexpensive laptops are never going to be the best or the most powerful options. Times are tough, and upgrading your old laptop’s hardware won’t be an easy task.
The days when bulky, expensive, and power-hungry laptops were your only option are long gone – now you can buy very nice, slim, and stylish laptops for less than $500 . The best of them are well-balanced and reliable machines that stand out for their high overall performance, solid battery life, and interesting distinctions like a number of useful ports or a razor-sharp webcam. Our top three options on this list meet those conditions: the Acer Aspire E 15, Asus VivoBook 15, and Acer Aspire 5.
Some things to keep in mind: You are not going to edit massive photos or videos or stream Grand Theft Auto Online to your Mixer fans in full resolution with the laptops on this list. They are mostly beginner laptops . In this way, you can complete homework and office tasks with minimal slowdown, while streaming music or video with a few open browser tabs.
Laptops that cost under $500 often make significant compromises, whether in performance, screen quality, or battery life. There are exceptions though, machines that manage to have almost everything you’d want in one of the best laptops at an impressive price discount. Are laptops under $500 good?
They can be, though finding one that doesn’t make compromises in multiple areas is difficult. Try to avoid laptops with a screen resolution under 1080p, Windows 10 laptops with a Pentium processor, or laptops without a solid-state drive. There are always exceptions, but those are the types of components that make a significant difference in your experience with a laptop.
Regardless of which you choose, you shouldn’t expect your $500 laptop to do complicated tasks like video editing or gaming. These are for basic computing, word processing, and web browsing.
Should I buy a Chromebook?
Chromebooks don’t offer Windows, which can be a blessing or a curse, depending on your opinion of Microsoft’s OS. As they’ve matured, Chromebooks have become viable alternatives to Windows PCs, especially in the lower price range. Because Chrome OS is a lighter OS with fewer features, Chromebooks often feel faster, and offer better battery life than their Windows counterparts (at a given price).
They even support Android apps through the Google Play Store, which gives you access to a huge portfolio of mobile apps and games. That said, the Android app experience can leave much to be desired, so you shouldn’t count on it.
The downside is that you can’t just go online and install any application. In fact, anything outside what you can do in a web browser is off-limits.
Can you buy a gaming laptop for under $500?
For the most part, no. The cheapest gaming laptops bottom out around $600 or $650. Those laptops are already fairly underpowered for modern games, though if you play lighter games and are willing to play at low settings, they’ll get by.
None of the laptops on this list is a good choice for 3D gaming.
What is missing from $500 laptops?
Most $500 laptops are made out of plastic, unlike aluminum and other premium materials used for expensive laptops. You’ll also find faster performance in these more expensive laptops. Quad-core processors and 8GB of RAM are the norm in midrange laptops, while most of the options on this list have less.
Expensive laptops often specialize in either battery life or graphics performance. The Dell XPS 13 will provide you all-day battery life, while the Razer Blade will let you play modern games at high frame rates. When you’re shopping under $500, you should expect a bare-bones laptop. It can handle most day-to-day tasks with ease, but gaming, photo/video editing, and other more demanding tasks may require a higher budget.
There are users who are looking for gaming laptops to play, others are clear that they need a computer for photo and video editing , but … what happens when what you want is a laptop for general uses such as browsing the internet and office automation with Windows as a system operational and also have a tight budget?
In this guide to buying laptops with Windows for less than 500 dollars we propose some minimum and adequate specifications to perform office automation tasks, content reproduction and navigation with solvency today, but with an eye on the coming years. Likewise, we offer you a series of models that meet these criteria, seeking to offer the greatest possible diversity with laptops with a high price-performance ratio .
How to get it right by choosing a Windows laptop for less than 500 dollars
We are looking for a Windows laptop that will offer us a satisfying experience now and in the near future for less than 500 dollars.
In this case, the idea is to run with solvency and fluency common programs for a basic user – medium such as Microsoft Office suites or LibreOffice, Chrome, Mozilla, VLC, Audacity, GIMP and Photoshop – for specific uses at the amateur level -, Acrobat Reader , Caliber, Skype, among others.
In the background aspects such as design, screen, connectivity dimensions and weight. However, in this price range there are neat and interesting options.
When it comes to CPUs, both Intel and AMD have very attractive microprocessors for entry-level laptops in their catalog. JaviPas anticipates us that in a couple of lines the state of the art of laptops in this price range relating hardware with design and which ones to bet on if we want fluidity: It is the latter that offer a proposal more capable of moving Windows and general software. Pastor marks a minimum line for us: “although somewhat older processor models such as the 8th generation Intel Core or the Ryzen 2000 predominate, it is possible to find some computers with 10th generation Intel Core processors (which gain in efficiency) and also Ryzen 3000 and even some chip from the Ryzen 4000 family, although in its more modest versions.
From here, he explains that around 500 dollars the proposals for 8GB of RAM are common and it is a good figure , something in which Juanky agrees:
Of course, the optimal amount so that the overall performance of the equipment never degrades even if we step hard on the accelerator is 16 GB DDR4.
The main memory has a significant impact on performance, so Juanky provides us with a note in case we have to choose: “It is worth sacrificing some CPU power if with this we are going to be able to jump from 8 to 16 GB of RAM. “
Although SSDs are already fully consolidated in the proposals of the main laptop manufacturers, there are still teams with the classic mechanical hard drives, which offer more space in exchange for a drastic reduction in their data transfer speed.
For less than 500 dollars we will not find combinations of both, so Juanky is clear: “I would not give up an SSD unit with an NVMe M.2 interface under any circumstances. Its impact on the performance of the machine, regardless of its capacity, it’s huge, so I would rule out a mechanical hard drive “.