Are you starting nursing school and have the feeling that you may need a laptop to do some important tasks like research and managing career projects? Then you have landed in the right place.
After reviewing a list of approximately 50 laptops we have chosen only the 5 best laptops for nursing students, laptops that truly provide value for money.
Why the best laptops for nursing students? Going to nursing school is great, many of the best memories are formed at this stage.
Experiences and learning that will shape the careers of future nursing professionals. Once you graduate from nursing school, there are tons of information that you need to store in the form of documents.
There are also important files that you should store and review that are related to your work. Most of these files consist of pages and more pages that become difficult to review if you don’t have a good laptop.
Top And Best Laptops For Nursing Students 2021
Let’s see which are the most important and suitable laptop for nursing students.
Apple MacBook Air
About this item
- Stunning 13.3-inch Retina display with True Tone technology
- Backlit Magic Keyboard and Touch ID
- Tenth-generation Intel Core i3 processor
- Intel Iris Plus Graphics
- Fast SSD storage
- 8GB of memory
- Stereo speakers with wider stereo sound
ASUS Chromebook Flip
About this item
- Plus Chromebooks offer fast performance, smooth video calls and ample storage.
- The 14 inch Full HD Touchscreen NanoEdge display has a durable 360 degree hinge that can be used to flip the touchscreen display to tent, stand, and tablet mode
- Powered by the Intel Core m3-8100Y Processor (4M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz) for super-fast and snappy performance. If you use a ton of tabs or run lots of apps, this has the power to get it all done with ease
- 4GB LPDDR3 RAM; 64GB eMM4GB LPDDR3 RAM; 64GB eMMC storage and 2x USB Type-C (Gen 1) and 1x USB Type-A (Gen 1) ports plus a backlit keyboard (*USB Transfer speed may vary. Learn more at ASUS website)C storage and 2x USB Type-C (Gen 1) and 1x USB Type-A (Gen 1) ports plus a backlit keyboard (*USB Transfer speed may vary. Learn more at ASUS website)
- The lightweight (3 lbs) all-aluminum metal body makes the C434 both durable and beautiful for a timeless look that will never go out of style
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS – an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically*, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides.
Reference Link: Asus.com
Microsoft Surface Laptop 3
About this item
- Clean, Elegant Design: Thin and light, starting at just 2.79 pounds, Surface Laptop 3 is easy to carry
- Choose from rich tone-on-tone color combinations: new Sandstone, plus Matte Black, Cobalt Blue, and Platinum
- Improved speed and performance to do what you want, with the latest processors: Surface Laptop 3 is up to 2 times faster than Surface Laptop 2
- More ways to connect, with USB-C and USB-A ports for connecting to displays, docking stations and more, as well as accessory charging
- All day power on the go, with up to 11.5 hours of battery life, Plus standby time when you’re away, Go from empty to a full battery with fast charging up to 80 percent in about 1 hour
ASUS VivoBook 15
About this item
- 15.6 inch Full HD (1920×1080) 4-way NanoEdge bezel display with a stunning 88% screen-to-body ratio
- Latest 10th Gen Intel Core i5-1035G1 CPU (6M Cache, up to 3.6 GHz)
- 8GB DDR4 RAM and 512GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- Ergonomic backlit keyboard with fingerprint sensor activated via Windows Hello
- Exclusive Ergolift design for an improved typing position
- Comprehensive connections including USB 3.2 Type-C, USB 3.2 Type-A, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Gigabit Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) (*USB Transfer speed may vary. Learn more at ASUS website)
- Windows 10 Home
Acer Aspire 5
About this item
- AMD Ryzen 3 4300U Quad-Core Mobile Processor (Up to 3.7GHz) | 4GB DDR4 Memory | 128GB NVMe SSD
- 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) Acer ComfyView Widescreen LED-backlit IPS Display
- 802.11ac WiFi 5 (Dual-Band 2.4GHz and 5GHz) | Backlit Keyboard | Fingerprint Reader | Up to 10 Hours Battery Life
- 1 – USB 3.2 (Type-C) Gen 1 port (up to 5 Gbps) | 2 – USB 3.2 Gen 1 Port (one with Power-off Charging) | 1 – USB 2.0 Port | 1 – HDMI Port with HDCP support
- Windows 10 S
A Good Laptop For Nursing Student
Aside from the files, there are nursing exams that one has to take on your laptop or iPad, and not having a decent laptop will surely result in difficulties in taking these exams.
Therefore, when you enter nursing school, it is important that you get a laptop that will help you store your files and take exams without any difficulty.
When it comes to laptops, there are good quality laptops available in the market from which you can choose the one that perfectly suits your needs.
These laptops not only have a modern design, but they are also very affordable. The only thing you need to do before buying one of the best laptops for nursing students is to do a little research.
The Best Affordable Laptops for Nursing Students
When it comes to buying a laptop for nursing students, you need to make sure that it provides enough storage space to hold the large files and documents that are linked to nursing exams and clinical services.
Since nursing school is linked to clinical services, you will always need a good laptop where you can easily store your files and review them whenever you want.
The most important thing to keep in mind when buying a laptop is that it provides enough storage and is also light to carry. You shouldn’t buy a heavy laptop.
Nursing school will be a lot more fun when you have a lightweight laptop that you can easily take your exams on.
Another important thing to keep in mind is that the laptop should have a long-lasting battery so that you don’t have to charge it over and over again.
There are laptops that need to be charged a couple of times during use, which becomes really inconvenient. Therefore, having a laptop with a long battery life is the best option.
Important points to consider when buying a laptop for Nursing students
There are certain points that you should keep in mind when buying a laptop for nursing students. This will not only help you make the best decision, but it will also be a good investment.
You should ensure that you have a large storage space to help you store important files and documents related to your work and clinical services.
This will not only facilitate your studies, but you will also be able to perform your duties responsibly.
Therefore, the best thing to do is to buy a laptop with a large storage capacity. It is best to get SSD storage for your laptop, this will result in fast performance.
Another important thing to consider when buying a nursing laptop is the screen.
Your laptop screen should be good to read and review your documents and images properly. The screen must be at least 13 inches in Full HD.
When buying a laptop you should also consider the RAM. It is important to have a large RAM to do your job properly and save files.
An 8 GB RAM will be perfect for a nursing laptop and will allow you to do your job in the best possible way.
Whether you want to review your files or multitask, you’ll be able to get all your work done much more efficiently via 8 GB of RAM.
One of the most important things to keep in mind when purchasing a nursing student laptop is that it be lightweight.
A lightweight laptop is not only easy to transport, but it also runs faster compared to a heavy laptop.
There are many lightweight laptops that come with the best processors. Therefore, when you buy a laptop, you need to make sure that it is lightweight.
What you should consider before buying the best laptop to study nursing
We have showcased our list of the best laptops for nursing students. But if you still haven’t found your perfect choice. You can find it yourself by following this little guide.
These days you shouldn’t buy a laptop with a hard drive unless you have a very small budget.
If you are on a budget of more than $400 or $500, then you should always go for a laptop with SSD drives. They are much faster than with a normal hard drive.
You should not choose a laptop that has less than 128 GB of SSD, except for Chromebooks. Always looking to go above 128 GB but not below that.
Aim for Core i5 processors if you’re on a budget. It will perform faster than the Core i3 processor and it won’t cost you much.
If you are on a budget, then the Core i3 laptop would be fine for you. I will not suggest a Core i7 processor laptop for nursing school as it will cost you more and a nursing student might not need such high-powered laptops.
If you are buying a laptop for multipurpose use, like nursing school, entertainment, gaming, etc., you can go for a Core i7 laptop. If not, I suggest you go for the Core i3 or Core i7 laptop and save your pocket money.
You should not choose a laptop with 2 GB of RAM at any cost because it cannot handle too many things at once. Always go for 4 GB RAM, and it won’t cost you much. I repeat, never look for a 2 GB RAM model.
The laptops on this list are lightweight and portable. You can choose any of them.
The ideal weights of different notebook sizes are
- 10-12.5″ = Up to 2.7 pounds (1.22 kg)
- 13″ = Up to 3 pounds (1.36 kg)
- 14-15″ = Up to 5 lbs. (2.26 kg)
3. Battery life
This has to be the most important aspect of a laptop for a student carrying their luggage to a school or university.
You should never buy a laptop that has less than 6 hours of battery life. If you are not taking your laptop to school / university and using it at home, you may not have a problem.
MacBook Air has the best 12-hour battery life on this list. You should choose it if your main preference is a long battery life.
4. Operating system:
The both Mac and Windows would be fine and suitable for nursing students.
You should receive recommendations from your institute on software requirements and which operating system is best for you. And based on that, you can make your decision.
MacBook are generally expensive, but they offer a different kind of performance, while you can easily get a Windows laptop for a very cheap price.
If you can buy a MacBook Air or MacBook Pro, I would suggest you go for it without any hesitation, or else you can always go for a good Windows machine.
Therefore, these factors are very important and should be taken into account before purchasing a laptop for a nursing student. There are many other aspects to consider, but they are not as important as the previous one.
If you’re curious about those additional features, here they are.
1. Screen type: IPS VS TN panel (IPS is better in most cases)
2. Screen size: depends on your choice.
2. Graphics Card: If you are an avid gamer, you should get a laptop with a dedicated graphics card.
None of the laptops mentioned above have a dedicated graphics card. You should read our post here, where we’ve talked about the best dedicated graphics card gaming laptops .
These days, all students are busy with studies and do not have the time to do proper research on the devices they buy and that is why I wrote this post to help them choose the right laptop.