A Laptop for 4k video editing is a very niche and specific device. It must have a high-performance filling and a high-quality screen. And if we talk about laptops, then the situation is even more complicated.
Not only is it quite difficult to find a perfectly balanced solution for certain needs, but also we get inflated price tags due to low demand among consumers for such devices. The complexity of upgrading portable devices also aggravates the situation. But nothing is impossible. Therefore, we selected the best models and compiled the top notebooks for video editing in 2021.
As mentioned above, this is hardware and a screen. Particularly strong among all the other components is the processor. He is responsible for computing and processing information. Namely, these processes are actively running on the Laptop while working in the hypothetical Adobe After Effects. However, many modern programs support rendering, encoding, and hardware acceleration using a video card, or even using both main components: processor + graphics core.
Therefore, if you want to get the most productive gadget, the purpose of which is video processing, then you should consider models with discrete graphics, and a fairly high level. Of course, devices equipped only with built-in will be much cheaper, but their capabilities are much less. Therefore, we can absolutely say for sure that a modern Laptop for video editing is not much different from a premium gaming machine. And there, and there is powerful hardware, as well as large amounts of RAM.
Speaking of memory. If you think you can get by with a couple of 4 GB planks, then you’re wrong. All video editing programs are designed in such a way that the data loaded into the active project is stored in the RAM cache.
Therefore, it turns out that the more effects in the created video and the longer it is, the more RAM you need. In our opinion, the optimal values are 16-32 GB. 8 is not enough, 64 is expensive. After all, we focus on the price too. Otherwise, what is the point of rating the best laptops for video editing, if you can just take and buy the most expensive and stuffed model?
As for the screen, it must be at least 15 inches and based on a high-quality matrix that will have good color rendering. The higher the resolution, the better. However, we will not focus on QHD and 4K, since such models are still unreasonably expensive. In most cases, classic Full HD will suffice. You can read more about screen selection in a separate article.
Choosing the Best Laptop for 4K Video Editing 2021
In the digital age, there is a growing need for high-spec notebooks. This is a must for someone in the creative industries who constantly uses video editors for editing. With the right laptop, video editing can be easier, faster and more efficient.
Various brands such as HP, Lenovo and Acer are trying to meet our high demands for different types of laptops. In this article, we will give you tips on choosing a laptop for video editing. We also recommend laptops from various well-known laptop brands that are great for video editing.
Advantages of video editing with a laptop versus a desktop PC
Those of you who are used to working with desktop PCs can compare it to the performance of a laptop. There is nothing wrong with that when you first learn about the advantages of video editing on a laptop over a desktop PC. Lets you work anywhere.
The main advantage of video editing with a laptop is of course a matter of portability. Unlike desktops, which only sit in one place, laptops let you get work done anywhere. When the office work is not finished, you can continue working at home. In fact, you can work while enjoying a cup of coffee in a café or while traveling.
Make your work more efficient
Not only does it allow you to work anywhere, the laptop also makes it easy to move data anywhere. Many of the users prefer to store their data in the cloud. However, this method is less efficient for video data that is large.
Meanwhile, using an external hard disk drive (HDD) or solid state drive (SSD) will increase costs. If you store data on a laptop, you can use it immediately when needed.
Plus, using a laptop will also make your work easier when you have to make a presentation. Anyone who uses desktop PCs may need a laptop for presentations. The use of two such devices is much more costly and less efficient.
Close to desktop performance
Those of you who still have doubts about the performance of a laptop should think again. Laptop performance is currently being designed to the highest standard, and is very close to that of a desktop PC. This means that if you choose a laptop with the best specifications, then you are getting performance on par with a very good PC.
More efficient electricity needs
Laptops require less electricity than desktop PCs. This is because laptops use rechargeable batteries (constant current), so they only need electricity to charge. Desktop PCs, meanwhile, use AC power, which is plugged directly into the power supply when it is turned on. If it is not equipped with an uninterruptible power supply (UPS), the PC will automatically shut down when the power is disconnected. Using unstable electrical current will also shorten the life of the components on your PC.
How to choose a Best laptop for 4K video editing?
After learning about the advantages of laptops over desktops, would you decide to buy one? If so, you should consider the following points when looking for the best laptop to mount.
Make sure the processor has at least 4 cores and 8 threads
The easiest way to choose a processor is to look at the number of cores. Choosing the higher the number of cores the laptop is the best and has better performance as well. Besides, you also need to pay attention to the number of threads. Typically, the number of threads alone is twice the number of cores. We recommend that you choose a processor with a minimum of 4 cores / 8 threads.
The easiest way to find out the number of cores and threads is with stickers, which are usually pasted on laptops. If you don’t find this information, check it through the Task Manager or Command Prompt. You can also check it online through the official website of the processor manufacturer.
Meanwhile, if you want to evaluate the capabilities of the processor, you can use the data of the Cine bench benchmark designed to compare performance. You can see the estimated processor performance of your device. Look for a processor above 700 to get decent performance.
Choose from GTX, RTX or RX series GPUs
A fast rendering process requires not only CPU performance but also a graphics processing unit (GPU). The higher the GPU class, the faster the rendering process. Choose from NVIDIA GTX or RTX series or AMD RX series for optimal video rendering.
Choose laptops with 16 GB of RAM and higher
As you well know, random access memory (RAM) is a place to store temporary data and execute various software processes. And it greatly affects the performance of the laptop when running software. What’s more, video editing software is heavy enough to run on average, so it requires a lot of RAM.
To get the best performance, we recommend choosing a laptop with a minimum of 16 GB RAM. With more RAM, you can work on software editing more smoothly while multitasking.
What type of internal memory to choose in a laptop for 4K video editing: SSD or HDD?
To save raw data or data obtained during editing, you need a repository. Therefore, the larger its capacity, the more data you can store. However, the baud rate must also be considered. The faster speed will help you export video frames and manage software much faster.
You should strive to choose a laptop with a solid state drive (SSD) over other types of hard disk drives (HDD). Despite the difference in price, SSD performance is much better than HDD. You can enjoy the fast process of downloading, resuming and opening the video editing software. SSDs are also designed to be more shockproof to reduce the risk of damage while being carried.
What resolution, size and type of screen to choose in a laptop for video editing?
Since video editing is all about visual design, you should see a clear and crisp picture making sure to pay attention to the screen resolution. The higher the resolution, the clearer the screen. Nowadays, almost all laptop screens for video editing are currently at least Full HD 1080p.
In addition, you also need to pay attention to the size and type of the screen. Screen sizes between 15 “and preferably 17” are best suited for video editing. However, if you want a laptop that’s easier to carry around at all times, consider a 13-14-inch screen size.
Some modern laptops even have two screens that you can make the most of. For example, using one screen as the main editing screen and another screen as the helper window. We recommend choosing screens of the IPS type. This screen has a wide viewing angle making it ideal for your video editing tasks.
Dell XPS 15 7590
- 15.6-inch 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) Anti-Reflective InfinityEdge Touch 500-Nits Display
- 1 TB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD Storage, 32 GB RAM (DDR4-2666MHz, 2x16GB), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB GDDR5 Graphics
- 2.4GHz 9th Gen Intel Core i9-9980HK (16 MB Cache, 8 Core, up to 5.0GHz)
- Windows 10 Home 64-Bit, SD Card Slot, Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2×2), Bluetooth 5.0
- Ports & Slots: 1. SD card slot | 2. USB 3.1 Gen 1 | 3. Battery gauge button and indicator | 4. Wedge-shaped lock slot | 5. AC’s power | 6. USB 3.1 Gen 1 | 7. HDMI 2.0 | 8. Thunderbolt 3 (4 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3) supporting: Power Delivery, Thunderbolt 3 (40Gbps bi-directional), USB 3.1 Gen 2 (10Gbps), Native DisplayPort 1.2 video output, VGA, HDMI, Ethernet and USB-A via Dell Adapter (sold separately) | 9. Headset jack
Lenovo ThinkPad P1 Laptop Workstation
- Lenovo 15.6″ ThinkPad P1 Laptop Workstation (Gen 2, Black Weave)
- 2.8 GHz Intel Xeon E-2276M Six-Core
- 15.6″ 1920 x 1080 IPS Display – Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
- NVIDIA Quadro T2000 (4 GB GDDR5)
- 16 GB DDR4 | 512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe SSD
Razer Blade 15 Studio Edition
- More Power, More Cores: The 8-Core 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10875H processor provides the ultimate level of performance with up to 5. 1GHz Max Turbo.
- Studio Ready: The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super with Max-Q Design (8 GB GDDR6 VRAM) graphics is up to 25% faster than the original RTX 20 Series with more cores and higher clocks.
- Vivid Visuals: The 4K OLED touch display delivers blazing fast 1ms response time and a wide color range covering 100% of the DCI-P3 space, while the HDR 400 True Black ensures deep blacks and vibrant colors.
- Thin and Compact: The CNC aluminum unibody frame houses incredible performance in the most compact footprint possible, while remaining remarkably durable and just 0. 7″ thin.
- Innovative Cooling: A unique vacuum sealed, liquid filled, copper vapor chamber spans the heat generating components and is the key to getting maximum performance and user comfort in a compact, thin design.
- Connectivity technology: HDMI
Lenovo Legion 5
- Welcome to the next generation of gaming performance with the AMD Ryzen 7 4800H mobile processor, 16 GB 3200MHz DDR4 memory, and 512 GB M.2 NVMe PCIe SSD storage
- Enjoy fast refresh and deep colors with a 144 Hz refresh rate and outstanding clarity on a 15.6″ FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS display
- The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660Ti GPU is a blazing-fast supercharger for your favorite games and the newest titles
- Get maximum performance via Dual Burn Support, which pushes the CPU and GPU together for improved frame rates, and Legion Cold front 2.0 for thermal tuning
- The Legion TrueS trike keyboard with soft-landing switches delivers hair-trigger inputs
MSI GS75 Stealth 10SFS-611
- 17.3″ FHD (1920×1080), 300Hz 3ms, IPS-Level | NVIDIA GeForce RTX2070 Super Max-Q 8G GDDR6
- Intel Core i7-10875H 2.3 – 5.1GHz | Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX201(2*2 ax)
- 32 GB (16G*2) DDR4 3200MHz | 2 Sockets | Max Memory 64 GB
- Killer LAN E3100 | Dynaudio Speakers 2W*2 | 720p HD Webcam
- Steel Series per-Key RGB with Anti-Ghost key (84 Key) | Silky Glass Touchpad