When choosing the best laptops for video editing , vloggers and filmmakers must balance portability and power. On the one hand, editing videos is a task that requires a lot of power and memory, which is why large laptops with powerful fans and capable graphics cards are ideal. These features translate into faster render times and less waiting time while working on an edit.
On the other hand, if you go from one shot to another, having a huge laptop that weighs you down is not ideal. The best laptop for video editing, then, should pack plenty of power and battery life in a relatively lightweight, portable body.
List OF Best Laptops For Photoshop & Video Editing 2021
New Apple MacBook Pro
About this item
- Apple-designed M1 chip for a giant leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance
- Get more done with up to 20 hours of battery life, the longest ever in a Mac
- 8-core CPU delivers up to 2.8x faster performance to fly through workflows quicker than ever
- 8-core GPU with up to 5x faster graphics for graphics-intensive apps and games
- 16-core Neural Engine for advanced machine learning
- 8 GB of unified memory so everything you do is fast and fluid
- Superfast SSD storage launches apps and opens files in an instant
New Microsoft Surface Book 3
About this item
- Most powerful Surface laptop yet, with quad-core powered, 10th Gen Intel Core processors. More than 50% faster than Surface Book 2 13.5”.
- Power when you need it. Up to 15.5 hours battery life  — plus improved standby that extends battery life when you’re away.
- The connections you need, including USB-A, USB-C, and full-size SD card slot.
- High-resolution PixelSense touchscreen display. Also, available in 15”.
Latest Dell XPS 13.3″
About this item
- 13.3-inch FHD (1920 x 1080) InfinityEdge Non-Touch Display, Black Backlit English Keyboard with Fingerprint Reader
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10510U Processor (8 MB Cache, up to 4.9 GHz, 4 cores)
- 8 GB, LPDDR3, 2133 MHz, Integrated RAM, 512 GB M.2 PCIe NVMe Solid-State Drive, Widescreen HD (720p) 2.25 mm webcam with 4 array digital microphones; Far Field Cortana capable
- Killer Wi-Fi 6 AX1650 (2 x 2) and Bluetooth 5.1, Intel UHD Graphics with shared graphics memory, Platinum Silver with Black carbon fiber palmrest, Precision touchpad, seamless glass integrated button
- 1. Speaker | 2. 1 MicroSD card reader | 3. 1 USB-C 3.1 with power delivery & DisplayPort | 4. Headset jack | 5. Wedge-shaped lock slot | 6. 2 Thunderbolt 3 with power delivery & DisplayPort (4 lanes of PCI Express Gen 3) | 7. HD camera | 8. Battery gauge indicator | 9. Speaker
Razer Blade 15 Studio Edition
About this item
- More Power, More Cores: The 8-Core 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10875H processor provides the ultimate level of performance with up to 5. 1GHz Max Turbo.
- Studio Ready: The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super with Max-Q Design (8GB GDDR6 VRAM) graphics is up to 25% faster than the original RTX 20 Series with more cores and higher clocks.
- Vivid Visuals: The 4K OLED touch display delivers blazing fast 1ms response time and a wide color range covering 100% of the DCI-P3 space, while the HDR 400 True Black ensures deep blacks and vibrant colors.
- Thin and Compact: The CNC aluminum unibody frame houses incredible performance in the most compact footprint possible, while remaining remarkably durable and just 0. 7″ thin.
- Innovative Cooling: A unique vacuum sealed, liquid filled, copper vapor chamber spans the heat generating components and is the key to getting maximum performance and user comfort in a compact, thin design.
- Connectivity technology: HDMI
Screen quality and size
Then there is the question of screen resolution and quality . Are you recording color images? If so, you probably want the display as color accurate as possible. Shooting and editing 4K or even 8K content? If so, then a Full HD screen won’t cut it.
When it comes to screen size , working within software like Adobe Premiere Pro often results in your screen being divided into quadrants: a preview window, a timeline, an effects tab, and a container for everything. your footage. A small laptop won’t give you enough screen to comfortably work on long edits; 15 inches or more is the sweet spot for us.
It gets even more complicated when you start talking about a laptop’s core processor , with the gold standard, Intel, offering everything from mobile chips to its premium Core i9 lineup. Meanwhile, AMD has phased out its more affordable line of high-end Ryzen processors.
Video editing machines also need a lot of RAM, which is used to temporarily store the material you are currently editing, and let’s not forget the connections . A Thunderbolt 3 port, for example, will mean that a laptop can be outfitted with an external graphics card, giving you desktop power when you have the space to plug it all in.
Meanwhile, an SD card reader will save you having to use dongles or adapters when importing images.
With all these factors in mind, we have put together a list of 10 of the best laptops for video editing in 2021.
Although the desktop computer is the format par excellence for photo and video editing , sometimes we need a more mobile team that allows us to work reliably.
What a laptop for video and photo editing should look like
As we anticipated in the presentation, the concept of video and photo editing is a huge bag that includes different options in terms of software, intensity of use, expectations … thus, it is not the same to edit photos and family videos from time to time. from time to time with amateur quality than intensive 4K video editing.
Even within these tasks, video editing hardware has to be more ambitious than a computer intended solely for photo editing. In fact, video-ready equipment is oversized for photography and the other way around it may fall short .
Throughout the article we specify models and characteristics for each need.
So before choosing a laptop for photo or video editing, it is interesting that we are clear about what software we are going to use . A good starting point when choosing your settings can be found on the official pages of programs such as Photoshop or Premiere Pro .
However, these requirements are still minimal to run the software, but they are not recommended. In fact, they fall very short if we are looking for a fluid job, multitasking or if we consider that it is an investment with a view to lasting us a few years.
The most important components in this usage scenario are the CPU and RAM , although the GPU also affects video editing applications that are able to access the graphics processor to increase their productivity.
CPU: threading and multicore
The CPU has a very strong impact on the performance of these tasks, being conditioned by the number of physical cores, the number of execution threads (threads) that it is capable of processing simultaneously and by the clock frequency at which they work.
For these processor-intensive applications such as video rendering, design or multitasking, a good starting point is a quad-core processor. Thus, we will opt for Intel Core i5 / i7 or AMD Ryzen 5/7 microprocessors with at least 4 physical cores and 8 threads of execution. If we focus on video, better bet on the latest generation models.
The more RAM the better
RAM memory is also crucial, especially if we work with large files . In this sense, the more RAM (if it is at a good price), the better.
Considering Photoshop is a RAM-eating program, the 16GB DDR4 is a good minimum. However, in 4K video editing or 3D modeling scenarios we will go up to 32 GB of RAM. In this sense, it is interesting to acquire a laptop that allows you to update the RAM depending on our needs .
When it comes to storage, the best option is to go for a combination between an SSD for the operating system and programs and a large HDD for saving files. This makes it faster to boot, access data, and read and write from the solid state drive.
Considering the volume of creative software, a 512GB SSD with NVMe M.2 interface is a good starting point. In the case of the HDD, we will start from 1 TB at 7,200 rpm.
For video: dedicated (and compatible) graphics card
While in photographic editing the graphics card begins to be used timidly in certain specific functions, in video editing it is advisable to bet on the best compatible graphics card for the software that we are going to use and that we can afford.
A dedicated graphics card has its own processor and memory (VRAM) that handles graphics processing and allows notebook components to handle other workloads simultaneously. Graphics are especially important in 4K video editing, 3D rendering, or animation.
For these tasks, we’ll be looking for models from the NVIDIA Quadro or GeForce GTX, AMD FirePro, or Radeon GPU families with at least 4GB of memory.
The screen, the weak point of a laptop for editing
The big problem with laptops for photo and video editing is the screen: it is difficult to find models that integrate quality screens and are accurate in color reproduction, in addition to having attractive dimensions for mobility, but uncomfortable to spend hours in front of they. For this reason, on many occasions it is chosen to work with an external monitor .
We are looking for models with quality screens, accurate colors and wide gamut. In terms of resolution, a starting point is the QHD (2,560 x 1,440 points).
Likewise, the panel should be IPS and not TN, as it allows better color reproduction and a wider viewing angle. In this sense, special attention to gaming laptops , a sector that provides a good number of interesting models for this scenario, but that can integrate TN panels.
CPU for Photoshop
The most important question is whether Photoshop can efficiently use all the cores of the CPU. For example, if you buy an expensive multi-core processor, Photoshop will run faster than more affordable options with fewer cores. Something like this is written in Photoshop Help in the article Optimizing Photoshop CC Performance:
“Photoshop generally runs faster with multi-core processors, but some tools don’t use more cores than others. The more cores you use, the less you get from each core. For most users, a performance increase of more than 6 cores does not mean an increase in the cost of such a system. ” Smart people have already confirmed this and posted it in an article called Adobe Photoshop CC Multi-Core Performance, which I recommend many times in the comments.
The 2015 article is already a bit outdated, but the results are still valid:
1. Photoshop doesn’t work well with multiple processors. For example, two xeons, traditionally respected by trideshniks, will run slower than 1 in some operations.
2. Most tools use only 1 or more processor threads.
3. Performance gain in multi-gear sets drops after 6 cores and disappears after 8.
The same smart people tested many modern processors in Photoshop CC 2017.1.1 to identify the true champion. All results can be seen here – Photoshop CC 2017.1.1 CPU Performance. The main result from these tests:
The new Core i7 8700K is the best choice to work in Photoshop for 2017-2018. What to do to people who cannot afford the Core i7 8700K? We see that you can get the i5 8600K cheaper for $ 100 and lose from 3% in single-threaded jobs to 20% in multi-threaded jobs. And even the i3 8350K isn’t far behind.
Unfortunately, figuring out which particular Photoshop tools can use multiple streams and which only 1 is not so simple. I found multithreaded features for messy posts on the Internet:
- Some effects – color mode conversion, many blurring, hue / saturation, brightness / contrast,shadow / highlight;
- Composite sheets (especially blending);
- save background.
It is clear that these were not all, but I did not have enough patience for further searches. Adobe says that many of Photoshop’s many functions have worked a long time ago, continue to improve, do everything possible, and so on.
Let’s believe you are reassuring.
Graphics card for Photoshop
There’s a little bit more info here because there is a list of Photoshop features on the Adobe site that uses the graphics card. The next one from this list is copy-paste.
Functions That Cannot Work Without GPU
If the GPU is unsupported or the driver is damaged, the following Photoshop features are not available:
- Oil paint
- Transformation – flame, picture frame, wood
- Scale. drag and drop
- Bird’s eye view
- Quick pan
- Convenient brush resizing tools
Features that require a graphics processor to accelerate
- assembly area
- Camera Raw ()
- Image Size – Save Detail
- Focus selection Blur Gallery –
- Blur by area, Blur by aperture, tilt-shift, Blur contour, rotate blur (with OpenCL acceleration)
- Intelligent sharpness (noise reduction – with OpenCL acceleration)
- Perspective stress
- Selection and masking (with OpenCL acceleration)
If you are actively using these tools, it is recommended that you consider getting a powerful video card. If that doesn’t matter, then you can get the video card cheaper or even a built-in one.
Sorry, I couldn’t find comparative AMD and NVIDIA video card tests, so I suggest leaving the NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti as a more universal option – for example if you need a card in V-Ray for CUDA implementation, for example.
RAM for Photoshop
The crucial moment in RAM selection for Photoshop – it should be a lot! I recommend installing at least 16GB for comfortable operation, but in cases with very large files you may need more – 32, 64GB or more.
A few review comments:
- Based on today’s best processor for photoshop;
- for most users, a margined amount of memory and the rest themselves know how much they need; graphics card – golden mean;
- there is no working disk separate from the economy and there should be sufficient swap space in the system, as well as operating speeds;
- some margin power supply.
That’s all for now. If missed or mixed – write comments, correct. If you are looking for the best laptop to work in Photoshop, there are a few models to consider. Such a laptop should have a large and clear screen on which it is possible to edit photos.
It also needs to be powerful enough to work with Photoshop. It’s not worth investing in a separate graphics card, as a regular graphics card will work better. It’s also worth deciding how portable your laptop should be.
Savings without sacrificing quality: gaming laptops up to 100,000 rubles Will you work more in the office or in the studio? Or do you need something to take with you during your photo shoot and on the road? However, keep in mind that a more portable laptop has slightly reduced performance and slightly less battery life.
To make the selection process easy for you, we’ve put together the best laptops for working in Photoshop; Among them, you will definitely find one that suits your need.