Choosing the best laptop as an Engineering student is not so easy. This is because not all powerful laptops are a good option. The best laptops for Engineering students on a budget must meet certain specifications such as portability, durability, a good processor, good visual display, high storage capacity and graphic capacity, among others.
The best laptops for Engineering students must have the best processors to handle all computational tasks, as well as the best graphics to handle all the CAD, simulation and CAM software graphics needs.
How to choose the best laptop for every engineering students in 2021?
When choosing a laptop for engineering students, it is necessary to consider the specifications of the laptop to verify that it meets the requirements for which it was established.
For example, since you are likely to run complex programs like AutoCAD, you will obviously need a laptop with a strong battery capacity.
Therefore, when choosing a laptop for electrical engineers, we will suggest a laptop with the new Intel Core i5 or Corei7 chips and at least 8 GB of RAM, although 16 GB or more is also perfect.
In addition, most computers programs that engineering students use are graphics-intensive programs, notably CAD, MATLAB and Solid Works, which are used for 3D modeling and video rendering.
That’s why games Laptops are also excellent options for engineering students, as they allow this kind of graphics power.
In addition to the mentioned specifications, a large screen with high resolution is also advisable, and if you are going to work a lot on site, it would be a good idea to buy a robust or well-built laptop that is built to withstand accidents in the workplace.
What to consider when choosing a good laptop for Engineering students on budget?
A processor is one of the fundamental & very important components of the computer system. Whether you are doing simulations or programming, it depends a lot on the processor.
However, unlike mechanics, civil or aeronautical engineers, electrical engineering mainly requires work centered in 2D; therefore, you don’t need the latest or most powerful processor to get the job done. That said, a dual-core processor or four-core processor is ready.
To be more specific, we recommend the following specifications:
Dedicated Graphics Card
There are some FEA applications that can use the laptop’s integrated graphics memory for modeling. However, a dedicated GPU is perfect; it makes your job even smoother. That’s why we recommend a laptop with a dedicated Nvidia or ATI graphics chipset. Dedicated GPU decreases the computer processor’s workload and facilitates 3D modeling.
Optimal Size and Resolution
The choice of the ideal size laptop for electrical engineering is somewhat complex, because it must be large enough to read numbers and characters deciphered in a convenient way, also portable. Therefore, the 14-inch size is perfect.
In addition to the size, you should also pay attention to the screen resolution. The higher resolution provides more desktop space on the screen. You can tile multiple applications at the same time. In addition, it allows you to see lines of code or paragraphs without having to scroll up and down too much. Therefore, the laptop with the least full HD is ready.
In addition to the size and resolution, you can check the types of panels and their surface finishes. An IPS panel is cool. You can also consider TN if you like games.
As you know, you will stress the keyboard a lot; therefore, you cannot ignore the quality of the keyboard. The keyboard must be active and in shape while working longer. Therefore, I suggest that you choose a keyboard with a dedicated numeric keypad, which helps to enter numbers in the software quickly.
There are two types of keyboards available on laptops – mechanical and membrane.
Mechanical keyboards have some types of sound when you click; they have access keys underneath and are ideal for players.
On the other hand, membrane keyboards are recommended because they offer a soft rubber base, which provides tactile feedback and quick response time.
Nowadays, keyboards you can get keyboards having buttons that glow lights. This will allow you to use the laptop when all places are dark.
Electrical engineering is one of the most challenging fields of study; this means more hours of study, many lectures and lab time; therefore, it makes no sense to carry a heavy laptop across campus that will break your back. The best laptop for an electrical engineering student should not exceed the 6 pound mark.
Good battery backup
For engineering students, laptops having good battery backup are always the right choice and best step for them. A computer for engineering students must have at least 6-7 hours of reserve, so it can last up to entire lectures and labs, or you can find a power source by then. Keep in mind that laptops with more than 7 hours of backup battery and excellent performance are expensive.
Generally, Intel “U” series processors are the best choice when it comes to long battery life. In addition, unless you don’t like heavy graphic editing, 3D modeling or color-sensitive task, you don’t need the super 4K screen that consumes a lot of battery, a Full HD screen is enough.
All engineers should aim for 8 GB of RAM. This will avoid any delay with your software and the number of web pages you have opened.
SSD is a type of mass storage device having high speed and very small size as compare to a hard disk drive (HDD). SSD is very Powerful than (HDD), its speed in 10x times than (HDD). Therefore, you need a perfect SSD to maximize classroom productivity.
Acer Aspire 5 A515-56-73AP
- Get high performance, responsiveness and long battery life with the Intel Core i7-1165G7 Processor – up to 4.7GHz, 4 cores, 8 threads, 12 MB Intel Smart Cache
- 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) IPS Widescreen LED-backlit Display | Intel Iris Xe Graphics
- 16 GB DDR4 Memory (Expandable to 24 GB) and 512 GB NVMe SSD
- 1 – USB 3.2 (Type-C) Gen 1 port (up to 5 Gbps) | 2 – USB 3.2 Gen 1 Port (one with Power-off Charging) | 1 – USB 2.0 Port | 1 – HDMI Port with HDCP support
- Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 | Acer Fingerprint Reader | Backlit Keyboard | Up to 8.5 Hours Battery Life
ASUS VivoBook S512 S15
- 15.6-inch Full HD 4 way NanoEdge bezel display with stunning 87% screen-to-body ratio
- Powerful Intel Core i7-10510U Processor (8M Cache, up to 4.9 GHz)
- Discrete NVIDIA GeForce MX250 graphics with Windows 10 Home
- 16 GB DDR4 RAM and 256 GB SSD + 1 TB HDD
- Metal case and 18 mm z-height
- Ergonomic backlit Chiclets keyboard with fingerprint sensor activated via Windows Hello
- Exclusive Ergolift design for improved typing position
- Comprehensive connections including USB 3.1 Type-C, USB 3.1 Type-A, USB 2.0, and HDMI; Wi-Fi 5/802.11ac Wi-Fi (*USB Transfer speed may vary. Learn more at ASUS website)
HP 15-dy1036nr 10th Gen
- Your career essential: With Wi-Fi 6 (2x) and Bluetooth® 5 connections, HP True Vision HD webcam and an integrated numeric keypad, this 15-inch laptop has all the essential features you need for a productive work day whether you’re in the office or at home
- Design and style with performance to match: Stay connected and productive with long-lasting battery life and a thin and portable, micro-edge bezel design
- BIOS recovery and protection: Automatically checks the health of your PC, protects against unauthorized access, secures local storage and recovers itself from boot up issues
- Display: 15.6-inch diagonal full HD, anti-glare, micro-edge, WLED-backlit display (1920 x 1080); 82% screen to body ratio
- Fast processor: 10th Generation Intel® Core™ i5-1035G1, Quad-Core, 1.0 GHz base frequency, up to 3.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
- Fast boot up with solid-state drive & higher bandwidth memory: Boot up in seconds, transfer files without waiting hours, and enjoy a speedier experience with the internal 256 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD, and higher bandwidth, speed and efficiency with 8 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB, not upgradable)
- Battery life: Up to 10 hours and 15 minutes (mixed usage), up to 6 hours and 30 minutes (video playback), up to 8 hours and 30 minutes (wireless streaming); 0 to 50% charge in 45 minutes with HP Fast Charge
OEM Lenovo ThinkPad E15
- Processor: Intel Dual Core i3-10110U (2.1GHz – 4.1GHz, 4 MB Cache)
- Features: 8 GB RAM, 250 GB SSD; Graphics Card: Intel UHD
- Display: 15.6″ FHD Anti-glare (1920×1080); OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 Bit
- Warranty: 1 Year Lenovo Warranty \ 1 Year Oemgenuine Warranty
- Memory & Hard Drive Upgrade | * – View Product Description for complete details and notes
Razer Blade 15 Base
- More power: The 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H processor provides the ultimate level of performance with up to 5.0 GHz max turbo and 6 cores.
- Ray-tracing: The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 is powered by the NVIDIA Turing GPU architecture and brings cinematic-quality rendering to the most visually intense games.
- More frames: Incredible performance paired with the fast 144Hz 15. 6″ full HD thin bezel display helps edge out the win.
- Thin and compact: The CNC aluminum unibody frame houses incredible performance in the most compact footprint possible, while remaining remarkably durable and just 0.78″ thin.
- Ready to connect: Fully loaded with Wi-Fi 6, Gigabit Ethernet, Thunderbolt 3, USB type-A and type-C ports, and HDMI, for a desktop-class experience
- Make it yours: Customize the backlight color of the keyboard with Razer Chroma, and expand the memory and storage, making the Razer Blade 15 uniquely yours.
Acer Predator Helios 300
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7-10750H 6-Core Processor (Up to 5.0 GHz) with Windows 10 Home 64 Bit
- Overclockable NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 with 6 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) Widescreen LED-backlit IPS display (144Hz Refresh Rate, 3ms Overdrive Response Time, 300nit Brightness & 72% NTSC)
- 16 GB DDR4 2933MHz Dual-Channel Memory, 512 GB NVMe SSD (2 x M.2 slots | 1 Slot open for easy upgrades) & 1 – Available Hard Drive Bay
- 4-Zone RGB Backlit Keyboard | Wireless: Killer Double Shot Pro Wireless-AX 1650i 802. 11ax Wi-Fi 6 | LAN: Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN | DTS X: Ultra-Audio | 4th Gen All-Metal AeroBlade 3D Fan
- Connectivity technology: Bluetooth
HP Spectre x360
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7-1065G7 Quad Core 3.90 GHz Max Turbo Frequency
- 512 GB Solid State Drive; 16 GB LPDDR4-3200 SDRAM
- Integrated Intel Iris Plus Graphics; Windows 10 Home
- 13.3″ diagonal 4K UWVA BrightView micro-edge AMOLED multitouch-enabled edge-to-edge glass with anti-reflection Corning Gorilla Glass NBT (3840 x 2160)
- HP 4K UHD Laptop with Wireless USB Mouse Bundled; Zipnology USB Optical Mouse Specification – 2.4 GHz -1600 DPI – 3 Buttons (2 Primary and Clickable Scroll Wheel)
Lenovo Legion Y740
- 15.6″ Full HD (1920 x 1080) 144Hz IPS 500nits Anti-Glare Display
- 9th Gen Intel Core i7-9750H 2.6GHz 6 Core Processor (12 MB SmartCache, up to 4.5GHz), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1660 Ti 6 GB
- Upgrade to 16 GB high-brandwidth RAM to smoothly gaming experience and browser tabs all at once; 512 GB PCIe Solid State Drive allows to fast boot up and data transfer; 1 TB Hard Disk Drive for ample storage space
- 3 x USB 3.1, 1 x USB Type-C, 1 x HDMI, 1 x Mini DisplayPort, 1 x Combination Audio Jack, 1 x RJ-45 Connector
- Built-in HD Webcam with Microphone, Dolby Atmos, Wireless-AC and Bluetooth 5.0, Windows 10 Home
MSI Prestige 14 A10SC-020
- 14″ FHD, IPS level anti-glare Wide View Angle thin Bezel 100%srgb1920x1080 16: 9NVIDIA GeForce GTX1650 (max-q)4g GDDR5
- Nvidia GeForce GTX1650 (max-q)4g GDDR5
- Core i5-10210u 1. 6 – 3. 9GHz Intel PTT 512 GB NVMe SSD 16 GB (16G*1) LPDDR3 2133MHz on board
- Thunderbolt 3*2 USB 2. 0 *2 LAN Intel Wi-Fi 6 ax201(2*2 ax) BT 5 720P HD Webcam
- Ac adapter Win 10 Pro webcam 3 Cell (50Whr) Li-Polymer 720P HD Webcam keyboard silky glass multi touch with fingerprint reader USB White backlight keyboard (84 key)
Microsoft Surface Pro 7
- 10th Generation Intel Core i7 (10th Gen) 1065G7 / 1.3 GHz
- 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB SSD Storage, 10.5-Hour Battery Life
- 12.3 Inch (2736 x 1824 Resolution) 10-point multi-touch Display
- SDXC Media Card Slot, USB Type-C, USB 3.0 Type-A, 802.11a/b/g/n/ac/ax Wi-Fi, | Bluetooth 5.0,Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)
- Included in Surface Pro 7 i7 16gb/512gb/win pro Bundle: Microsoft Surface Pen –Platinum, Microsoft Type Cover – Black & GizPro USB Type-C to HDMI / VGA / DVI Adapter
Now we have briefly described info for every engineering student who are looking to buy laptops on a budget with high quality features,performance and functions.