Whether pursuing entry-level mechanical courses or designing and developing large-scale mechanical product prototypes, SolidWorks is the perfect software to work with. Unlike some other CAD tools, it is all-encompassing software that is useful for most manufacturing units! This is the reason why, as a potential user, you need a powerful machine to run this software.
Simply put, SolidWorks is a high-end modeling platform that extrapolates 2D designs through built-in parametric innovations.
Most importantly, this productive 3-dimensional, computer-aided design tool brings intelligent and analytical technologies into the mix, as well as helping professionals stimulate putative physical trends Temperature , Drift , Vibration , Stress , Fluid Flow , and more.
There are hardly any tools on the market that can compete with SolidWorks when it comes to assembly accuracy, rendering quality, and modeling innovation. However, you can still install some relevant software units on your high-end laptop, just for scan sale. The most popular options include FreeCAD, Catia, and OnShape, precisely for parametric modeling.
Top Best Laptops For SolidWorks in 2021
Device choice for SolidWorks depends on usage and level of experience. For a student or just a 2D modeler, a workstation is not necessary, and a basic consumer-grade notepad would suffice. However, if you are an industry-level professional with a penchant for mechatronics, you would need a workstation precisely to handle rendering and simulations alongside 2D and 3D modeling.
Although you can always go for the expensive notebook to take care of backward compatibility, you need to understand what features actually play a role while running the software. Based on priority, consider going for a laptop with a high-speed processor, massive amounts of RAM, industrial-grade GPUs, and a functional but fast SSD.
Powerful processor : Whether a higher clock speed or higher core count is faster depends on how well a program is designed to take advantage of the cores of multiple CPUs. In the case of AutoCAD or SolidWorks, the vast majority of software is single threaded only so it is only capable of using a single CPU core. For this reason, our general recommendation when choosing a CPU is to simply go with a model that has a high frequency.
For current generation CPUs, the fastest general purpose CPU from AutoCAD or SolidWorks is the Intel Core i7 6700K, which runs on a 4.0 GHz base clock and a 4.2 GHz maximum Turbo Boost clock. If you are looking for an ultra workstation Reliable, the Intel Xeon E3-1275 is slightly slower with a maximum Turbo Boost clock of 4.0GHz, but allows the use of technology like ECC RAM error correction.
RAM – Although the exact amount of RAM you need will depend on the size and complexity of the model you will be working with, we generally recommend a minimum of 16 GB for all of our systems. AutoCAD or SolidWorks including Mental Ray rendering is actually quite light on RAM requirements and Autodesk only recommends 8 GB of RAM.
However, given the relatively low cost of RAM – and the fact that most users tend to have more than AutoCAD or SolidWorks running on their system – we think 16 GB is a great starting point. If you will be working with very large models or have many files open at the same time, however, you may consider upgrading to 32 GB or more.
Hard Drive Storage : With the costs associated with SSDs dropping, we almost always recommend using an SSD for the primary drive that will host your operating system, AutoCAD or SolidWorks, and whatever active projects you are working on. The high speed of SSD allows your system to boot, launch applications and load files many times faster than any traditional hard drive.
However, SSDs are still more expensive than traditional drives per GB, so for long-term storage we recommend having a traditional secondary hard drive in addition to a primary SSD. If you can afford it, having even more SSDs, one for the operating system and AutoCAD or SolidWorks and another dedicated for active projects along with a larger traditional storage unit is even better. So having a laptop with an SSD is important when choosing a CAD laptop.
Screen – A screen with 15 inches or more will create the perfect window to view your designs. Don’t even look at the best netbooks as they come with small screens. They will put strain on your eyes, and you won’t want that. For a comfortable viewing experience, you should get a large screen, something like 15″ or larger.
Graphics card – for graphics, going for a laptop with Nvidia or AMD graphics card will increase the screen resolution of the designs, as well as provide a sharper image of the intricate models to be made. Most modern applications use dedicated graphics cards to render graphics.
Minimum and recommended system requirements
The minimum system requirements are listed, taking into account the basic requirements of academic and 2D modeling. SolidWorks comes with several features, and the system requirements are different for each one. The recommended set of specifications is provided as a baseline for 3D modeling, simulations, and rendering.
|Minimum system requirements||Recommended system requirements|
|CPU||9th Gen Intel Core i5||10th Gen Intel Core i7 or higher|
|RAM||8 GB||16 GB|
|Storage||256 GB SSD||1 TB SSD or dual storage|
|Monitor||15.6-inch FHD (1920 x 1080)||15.6-inch IPS type FHD / UHD (1920 x 1080)|
|GPU||2 GB NVIDIA GeForce MX150||2 GB + NVIDIA Quadro or 4 GB + NVIDIA RTX|
|Battery||Up to 4 hours||Up to 8 hours|
Best Budget Laptops For SolidWorks in 2021
Below is the list of some best budgets laptops for solidworks which are high speed in performance.
HP ZBook 15 G5
About this item
- ▌Please Read Before Purchasing ▌This brand new laptop is upgraded from a base model. The manufacturer box is opened and resealed to install the parts to achieve the specifications as advertised. One-year warranty for upgraded RAM / SSD from Issaquah Highlands Tech. One-year original warranty for remaining components from HP. Intel Core i7-8850H (6 cores 12 threads, base clock speed 2.6GHz, max turbo to 4.3GHz, 9MB L3 Cache)
- 64GB DDR4-2400MHz RAM, 2 x 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD
- 15.6″ FHD(1920×1080) Anti-glare Display, UHD 620 Graphics
- No Optical Drive, USB 3.1 Type-C Thunderbolt 3, 3 x USB 3.0, 1 x HDMI 2.0, 1 x RJ-45, 1 x Audio Combo Jack, 1 x Fingerprint reader, Backlit
- Windows 10 Professional 64-bit, Ideal for Student, Home, Professionals, Small Business, and School Education
Lenovo ThinkPad P15s
About this item
- 【Upgraded】 Seal is opened for Hardware/Software upgrade only to enhance performance. 15.6″ Full HD (1920×1080) 60Hz IPS Display; Wi-Fi 6E AX210 Wifi, Bluetooth 5.2, 720p HD Webcam, Fingerprint Security System, Backlit Keyboard, .
- 【Powerful Performance with Intel Core i7-1165G7 Quad Core】 11th Gen Intel Core i7-1165G7 2.80GHz Processor (upto 4.7 GHz, 12MB Cache, 4-Cores) ; NVIDIA Quadro T500 4GB GDDR6 Graphics, .
- 【High Speed and Multitasking】 16GB DDR4 RAM (16GB Onboard + 0GB SODIMM); 65W Power Supply, 3-Cell 57 WHr Battery; Black Color, Micro SIM Slot.
- 【Enormous Storage】 1TB PCIe NVMe SSD; 2 USB 3.2 Gen1, 1 HDMI, 2 Thunderbolt 4 (Type-C), Micro SD Reader, Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack., Windows 10 Pro-64., 1 Year Manufacturer warranty from GreatPriceTech (Professionally upgraded by GreatPriceTech)
Razer Blade 15 Base Gaming Laptop
About this item
- More power: The 10th Gen Intel Core i7-10750H processor provides the ultimate level of performance with up to 5.0 GHz max turbo and 6 cores
- Ray-tracing: The NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2070 with Max-Q Design is powered by the NVIDIA Turing GPU architecture and brings cinematic-quality rendering to the most visually intense games
- More frames: Incredible performance paired with the fast 144Hz 15. 6″ full HD thin bezel display helps edge out the win
- Thin and compact: The CNC aluminum unibody frame houses incredible performance in the most compact footprint possible, while remaining remarkably durable and just 0.78″ thin
- Ready to connect: Fully loaded with Wi-Fi 6, Gigabit Ethernet, Thunderbolt 3, USB type-A and type-C ports, and HDMI, for a desktop-class experience
- Make it yours: Customize the backlight color of the keyboard with Razer Chroma, and expand the memory and storage, making the Razer Blade 15 uniquely yours
ASUS ROG Zephyrus S Ultra Slim
About this item
- Activision call of Duty: black ops 4 game codes – offer valid 09/10/18–12/31/18, while supplies last. Go to the official ASUS site for FAQs, full terms and conditions, and to verify purchase for Redemption. See product description for additional information.
- 15.6” Full HD high refresh rate 144Hz 3ms IPS-Type Display with slim 6.5mm Bezel
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1070 8GB GDDR5 *(with Max Q Technology)
- 8th-generation Intel Core i7-8750H (up to 3.9GHz) processor. Battery – 60WHrs, 4S1P, 4-cell Li-ion
- 0.62” thin, 4.6 lbs. ultraportable military-grade magnesium alloy body gaming Laptop with premium cover CNC-milled from Solid aluminum
- 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD; 24GB 2666Hz DDR4; Windows 10 Home
- ROG active Aerodynamic system (AAs) with upgraded 12V fans and anti-dust tunnels to preserve cooling performance and system stability
- Customizable 4-zone ASUS Aura RGB Gaming Keyboard
ASUS TUF Laptop
About this item
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 4GB Graphics
- Quad-core AMD Ryzen 7 3750H Processor
- 15.6” FHD (1920×1080) 120Hz IPS-Type display
- 512GB NVMe SSD | 8GB DDR4 RAM | Windows 10 Home
- Gigabit Wave 2 Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac)
In the following sections, we’ll recruit 11 of the best laptops and workstations, precision built to handle demanding tools and applications like SolidWorks. Our selections are restricted to cost-effective heavy-duty workstations or high-end professional requirements only.
Our experienced laptop experts take your exact preference into account when listing high-end gadgets, mid-range laptops, and even select budget models that are still relevant for basic drawing, part simulation, modeling, and rendering.
Frequently Asked Questions
What Is The Most Important Component In SolidWorks Laptops, Precisely For Professional Use?
SolidWorks is primarily a CPU-intensive tool, and therefore you need to focus as much as possible on the processor. The best approach is to go for a processor that has a higher turbo timing speed to facilitate faster calculations, decent cache, and ECC memory if you are in more complex simulations.
What Is The Best GPU For High-End SolidWorks Functionality?
When it comes to GPU choice, only workstation models offer the best performance for SolidWorks. While some of the most preferred include AMD Fire Pro, AMD Radeon Pro, and NVIDIA Quadro, we suggest NVIDIA for better GPU-accelerated rendering, courtesy of the CUDA cores.
What Is The Role Of Cache Memory In Notebooks For SolidWorks?
If the CPU comes with decent cache, it becomes easier to choose computational data from RAM and process it much faster. Cache access is faster compared to RAM access, and for good SolidWorks the laptop should be a minimum of 6 MB to speed up calculations.
Is 16 GB Of Onboard RAM Enough To Run SolidWorks?
Initially 16 GB is more than enough for all basic renderings, simulations, modeling, drawing, and operational analysis. However, if your assemblies are buggy and continue to grow in size courtesy of more complex prototypes, you may need to consider expanding them.
Can SolidWorks Be Used In Laptops With Integrated Graphics Cards?
If you have a powerful CPU and an integrated GPU like the Intel HD 4000, you can run most SolidWorks operations such as flow simulations, stress analysis, 2D drawing, and more. Unless you are working with many assemblies with photorealistic modeling, the integrated GPU would also suffice. However, it is always nice to have a dedicated GPU to minimize pressure on the CPU and make 3D modeling and viewing possible.
Will My SolidWorks Performance Be Affected If The Chipset Doesn’t Support HyperThreading?
Most of the features started with SolidWorks are largely sequential, using individual threads. This is why, unless larger assemblies are being rendered while using multiple cores once or drawing multiple sheets, HyperThreading is not of much use.
Why Is Intel Xeon One Of The Best SolidWorks Compatible Processors?
The Intel Xeon processor comes with a decent clock speed, but the real benefit is the built-in Error Correction Code or ECC memory, which helps you with complex calculations involving concepts like Fluid Dynamics and Error Analysis.
How To Improve SolidWorks Performance On Your Existing Laptop?
If you have a mid-range notebook and want to optimize SolidWorks performance, go to the Windows Visual Effect section and select the best performance while setting the option to be optimal. Disable plugins, increase processor clock speed, and enable Rigid more for subassembly solving. This optimizes performance by 10 to 15 percent.