If you are an architecture student and are in need of a laptop for architectural needs, then you are on the most appropriate page. As per the title, this time we will discuss some of the best and coolest laptop recommendations in 2021 for architecture students.
Best Laptop Recommendations For Architecture Students 2021
Before entering the list of the best laptop recommendations for 2021 that are suitable for architecture students, you need to know that there are many types of laptops on the market with a variety of specifications today.
For the purposes of the architect himself, usually the laptop specifications needed are laptops with higher specifications than other types of laptops for other needs. Because the needs of architects are closely related to various types of building designs, designs, drawing to processing 3D rendering.
These needs cannot be solved with just any laptop. There is a choice of laptops with middle and upper class processor specifications and features that can do it. This type of laptop is usually equipped with a VGA card instead of a graphics processor from the processor and has been equipped with a wider laptop screen.
A large laptop screen will provide a better visual appearance and is very suitable for the needs of architecture students who are always active in designing freely. Not only that, the battery factor is also another consideration that must be considered when buying a laptop that architects need.
The reason is that the architect needs a laptop with a battery that doesn’t drop quickly. Without further ado, here is a list of laptops for the best architect students in 2021.
Acer Nitro 5
About this item
- 10th Generation Intel Core i5-10300H Processor (Up to 4.5GHz)
- 15″ Full HD Widescreen IPS LED-backlit 144Hz Refresh Display | NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 Ti Graphics with 4 GB of dedicated GDDR6 VRAM
- 8 GB DDR4 2933MHz Memory | 256 GB NVMe SSD (2 x PCIe M.2 Slots – 1 Slot Open for Easy Upgrades) & 1 – Available Hard Drive Bay
- LAN: Killer Ethernet E2600 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet LAN | Wireless: Intel Wireless Wi-Fi 6 AX201 802.11ax
- Backlit Keyboard | Acer CoolBoost Technology with Twin Fans and Quad Exhaust Ports Design
New Dell XPS 15 9500
About this item
- Enjoy a 16:10 display that features a stunning edge-to-edge view, now with 922k more pixels on 4K Ultra HD+.
- Equipped with 100% Adobe RGB, 94% DCI-P3 color gamut, VESA certified DisplayHDR 400, and Dolby Vision, this display delivers more than 16 million ultra-vivid colors that are 40 times brighter than ever before
- With a 62% larger touchpad, 5% larger screen, and 5.6% smaller footprint, every element is carefully considered—from its inlayed stainless logos to its high-polished diamond-cut sidewalls
- Integrated Eyesafe display technology helps reduce harmful blue light.
- Corning Gorilla Glass 6 is tough, damage resistant, durable, elegant and allows for no flex in its display.
New Apple MacBook Pro
About this item
- Apple-designed M1 chip for a giant leap in CPU, GPU, and machine learning performance
- Get more done with up to 20 hours of battery life, the longest ever in a Mac
- 8-core CPU delivers up to 2.8x faster performance to fly through workflows quicker than ever
- 8-core GPU with up to 5x faster graphics for graphics-intensive apps and games
- 16-core Neural Engine for advanced machine learning
- 8GB of unified memory so everything you do is fast and fluid
- Superfast SSD storage launches apps and opens files in an instant
Microsoft Surface Book 3
About this item
- Most powerful Surface laptop yet, with quad-core powered, 10th Gen Intel Core processors. More than 50% faster than Surface Book 2 13.5”.
- Fastest graphics on Surface, powered by NVIDIA GTX GeForce GPU. 40% more graphics performance than Surface Book 2 13.5″.
- Power when you need it. Up to 15.5 hours battery life — plus improved standby that extends battery life when you’re away.
- Robust laptop, powerful tablet, and portable studio in one.
- The connections you need, including USB-A, USB-C, and full-size SD card slot.
ASUS VivoBook 15
About this item
- 15.6 inch Full HD NanoEdge bezel display with stunning 83% screen-to-body ratio
- Powerful Intel Core i3-1005G1 Processor 1.2 GHz (4M Cache, up to 3.4 GHz)
- 4GB DDR4 RAM and 128GB PCIe NVMe M.2 SSD and Windows 10 Home in S Mode
- Ergonomic backlit keyboard along with a fingerprint sensor activated via Windows Hello
- Comprehensive connections, including fingerprint sensor, USB 3.2 Type-A (Gen1), USB 3.2 Type-C (Gen1), USB 2.0, SD card reader, and HDMI
- Lightning-fast dual band Wi-Fi 5 (802.11ac) keeps you connected through any congestion or interference
Revit usually performs single-core processes as processor speed, here your single-core processor speed and processor cache are important. Revit develops multi-core processes, and now Revit 2021 uses multiple cores for many processes.
First, in working with Revit, first, single core speed and processor capability are important in CPU selection. Here, speed and processor structure (i-9, Ryzen 3xxx) are important.
Second, multi-core – multi-core system is important. So how many cores the processor has. You can view multi-core price performance charts here .
Third, L3 Cache is important. L3 is the processing of the cached data size. The larger the size here, the larger the data size calculated by the processor cores. In other words, we know that a 4-core processor with a speed of 3.8 and an 8mb cache is slower than a processor with a 4-core 3.2 speed and 16mb buffer. There is an article on L3 calculation here.
Rams are required roughly 20-35 times your file size. For example, if the file size is 50 MB, you will need 1 GB-1.5 GB of ram. (We have not added the ram requirement for Windows operations here. But average win10 needs 8gb ram.)
Delay time should be low when choosing ram, for example CL16 rams are faster than CL18 rams. In addition, the ram you get should be compatible with your motherboard and processor. When you buy an incompatible model in ram selections, 3400MHZ ram can run at 1200MHZ.
It is the recommended Minimum system requirement for 16gb Ram revit. For most programs, an average system should have 32 GB of ram.
The part of your hard disk data is the hardware that can affect the speed the least until now. The speed at which Revit boots up greatly affects the speed at which the hard disk is saved. At the same time, it plays a big role in showing families fast in very loaded files as much as the graphics card.
My personal recommendation is to use an SSD. When you open a file, Revit requires 20 times the file size, 40 times the ram, and requires free space on the hard disk. For example, if you are going to open a 40 MB file, you must have at least 1.6 GB of free space.
For Revit 2021, a minimum of 30 GB of free space is recommended. For the average system, a 10000 RPM HDD is recommended.
The graphics card does not show itself in revit parts such as hidden line or shaded, but it has primary importance in Realistic or Render operations. Here, it is important that the video card has the Cuda structure or has a verified video card, processor power, GB, bit width. As these values increase, the performance of the graphics card increases.
Revit graphics cards that support DirectX 11 and later are recommended for minimum system requirements. At the same time, the video card should have Shader Model 5.0 and at least 4 GB of memory.
A laptop PC for architects is today an essential tool in this environment! Whether in studies or the world of work, you must have a machine dedicated to this activity.
But above all, you don’t need just any computer, because you can’t underestimate the power that architectural software demands. In order to help you in your choice, we therefore offer you our comparison of the best laptops for architects .
Selection of the best laptops for architects
As you will see, the PC models presented are not accessible to all budgets. Some of these models are aimed specifically at the professional market with needs focused on computing and rendering power. If you want to see more references you can consult our selection of laptops for professionals but be careful, the selection does not necessarily have machines for architects. Otherwise you can also choose a gaming laptop that should be able to run your rendering software without problem!
Laptop Buying Guide for Architects
The basic configuration for an architect’s laptop
On a laptop PC for architects, you have to plan for a minimum of power, and by that, we mean good performance.
Architectural software actually falls into the category of 3D modeling tasks , which are perhaps the most resource-intensive, and which therefore require very significant computing power. To better understand what you need at the base, and what we recommend:
• Processor (CPU): The first question is whether it is better to favor a CPU from Intel or from AMD. Although Intel is very solid in terms of performance offered on all tasks, AMD with its Ryzen range has focused a lot on heavy tasks, such as 3D modeling, and therefore on architecture. In any case, do not consider anything below an Intel Core i5 or an AMD Ryzen 5. If possible, go more towards Core i7 or Ryzen 7 , or even higher if you are managing very large projects. .
• RAM: Considering how much you can load in a single project, the importance of RAM should not be underestimated! 8 GB of RAM is really the minimum for architecture , but if possible, go more on 16 GB , or even 32 GB to be safe.
• Graphics card (GPU): Already, if you hesitate between AMD and NVIDIA, although the former has been doing a good job for some time now on graphics cards, NVIDIA remains well above the level of performance . To simplify, we will mainly talk in terms of the need for VRAM to go with the GPU. The minimum of the minimum is 2 GB of VRAM , but 4 GB is already more suitable. The best is to go on 6 or 8 GB , or even more, your PC will thank you.
• Storage (HDD / SSD): The most important criterion is not to make the mistake of taking only a standard hard drive (HDD) for only more space, but a much faster SSD for all tasks , including your operating system or software. 512 GB is the minimum , and as usual, try to go for more. But if you still have to take an extra HDD, make sure it’s 7200 rpm .
In terms of architectural software, there are several types, but here we will focus on the most popular and common: BIM software (for Buiilding Information Modeling). The advantage of their use lies in the management of much more information than normal, in particular allowing to specify according to each element, if it is a floor, a wall, a door, etc.
Thus, the software automatically gives the standard materials and dimensions for each of them, allows you to calculate the number of materials needed for construction, the total cost of the project, or even the mass of the building. All for a much simpler architectural coherence.
Therefore, we have selected some very interesting software for you, which at least deserve to be tested:
• AutoCAD Architecture
Laptop PC FAQ for Architects Students
PC or laptop for architecture?
The answer is obtained via another very simple question: do you need to transport your computer on a daily basis?
If so, take a laptop PC, if not, take a stationary PC, given that the performance-price ratio is much more interesting, as well as the power, which is necessary for the architecture.