What is a 2-in-1 laptop?
A 2-in-1 convertible laptop can be converted from a traditional folding laptop to a tablet. In some cases, it’s a bit of a misnomer: 360-degree convertible laptops like the HP Specter x360 13 can also be used in store and multimedia modes. The keyboard is not removable.
In most cases, the keyboard comes at an additional cost, as seen with the Surface Pro family. You can keep the keyboard attached and flip it over to use the screen as a tablet.
The 360-degree 2-in-1 convertible, on the other hand, isn’t as useful as a detachable one, but it tends to work better in folding laptop mode, especially when used on the lap, where it’s more stable. Then most detachable 2-in-1s.
Top 5 Best 2 in 1 laptops for Drawing
Below are the some of best performance 2 in 1 laptops for drawing work.
Microsoft Surface Book 3
About this item
- Most powerful Surface laptop yet, with quad-core powered, 10th Gen Intel Core processors. More than 50% faster than Surface Book 2 13.5”.
- Fastest graphics on Surface, powered by NVIDIA GTX GeForce GPU. 40% more graphics performance than Surface Book 2 13.5″.
- Power when you need it. Up to 15.5 hours battery life — plus improved standby that extends battery life when you’re away.
- Robust laptop, powerful tablet, and portable studio in one.
- The connections you need, including USB-A, USB-C, and full-size SD card slot.
- Free Upgrade to Windows 11 when available (see below).
Samsung Notebook 9 Pro 2 in 1 Laptop
About this item
- [Upgraded by CUE]16GB DDR4 SDRAM |1TB Solid State Drive
- 8th Generation Intel Core i7 Processors i7-8550U (Base 1.80 GHz, Up to 4.00 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology, 8 MB Intel Smart Cache, 4 Cores, 8 Threads)
- 15 inch Full HD ( 1920 x 1080 ) Touchscreen Anti-Glare 350nits 16: 9 Aspect Ratio Widescreen LED Display I AMD Radeon 540 Graphics with 2GB GDDR5 Graphic Memory
- 1 x USB-C [up to 5Gbps, 4K display out with optional adapter, Charging], 2 x USB 3.0, 1 x HDMI, 1 x MicroSD Multi-media Card Reader, 1 x Headphone/Microphone Combo Jack
- CUE Accessories: Mouse pad, USB cable and HDMI Cable;Microsoft Windows 10 Home 64 bit, Built-in HD 720p Webcam with Integrated Digital Microphone, Backlit Keyboard, Wireless-AC (2 x 2)and Bluetooth 4.1 Combo, up to 12.5 hours battery life
HP Pavilion x360 14 Convertible 2-in-1 Laptop
About this item
- Four versatile modes: Easily convert from laptop mode to tablet, stand or tent mode for notetaking, drawing and other daily activities that feel as natural as pen on paper
- Connect in more ways: Whether it’s online chatting or professional video meetings, the solid Wi-Fi 6 connection is up to the task, and the HP wide vision HD webcam with dual array microphone lets you see in wide-angle clarity so you can feel closer
- BIOS recovery and protection: Automatically checks the health of your PC, protects against unauthorized access, secures local storage and recovers itself from boot-up issues
- Display: 14.0-inch diagonal full HD, IPS, micro-edge, WLED-backlit, multi touch-enabled, edge-to-edge glass touch screen display (1920 x 1080); 80% screen to body ratio
- Fast processor: 10th Generation Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1035G1, Quad-Core, 1.0 GHz base frequency, up to 3.6 GHz with Intel Turbo Boost Technology
- Fast bootup with solid-state drive & higher bandwidth memory: Boot up in seconds, transfer files without waiting hours, and enjoy a speedier experience with the internal 512 GB PCIe(R) NVMe(TM) M.2 SSD, and higher bandwidth, speed and efficiency with 8 GB DDR4-3200 SDRAM (1 x 8 GB, not upgradable)
- Battery life: Up to 9 hours and 15 minutes (mixed usage), up to 6 hours and 45 minutes (video playback), up to 9 hours and 45 minutes (wireless streaming); 0 to 50% charge in 45 minutes with HP fast charge.
Microsoft Surface Pro 7
About this item
- Next-gen, best-in-class laptop with the versatility of a studio and tablet, so you can type, touch, draw, write, work, and play more naturally
- Faster than Surface Pro 6, with a 10th Gen Intel Core Processor – redefining what’s possible in a thin and light computer.
- More ways to connect, with both USB-C and USB-A ports for connecting to displays, docking stations and more, as well as accessory charging
- Standout design that won’t weigh you down — ultra-slim and light Surface Pro 7 starts at just 1.70 pounds
- All-day battery life up to 10.5 hours, plus the ability to go from empty to full faster — about 80% in just over an hour
- Free Upgrade to Windows 11 when available.
Acer Chromebook Spin 11 Convertible Laptop
About this item
- Chromebook runs on Chrome OS – an operating system by Google that is built for the way we live today. It comes with built-in virus protection, updates automatically, boots up in seconds and continues to stay fast over time. (Internet connection is required).
- All the Google apps you know and love come standard on every Chromebook, which means you can edit, download, and convert Microsoft Office files in Google Docs, Sheets and Slides.
- Get access to more than 2 million Android apps from Google Play to learn and do more.
- Chromebooks come with built-in storage for offline access to your most important files and an additional 100GB of Google Drive space to ensure that all of your files are backed up automatically.
- CP311-1HN-C2DV comes with 11. 6” HD Touch IPS Display, Intel Celeron N3350, 4GB DDR4 Memory, 32GB eMMC, Google Chrome, Protective Sleeve, Wacom Pen and Up to 10-hours Battery Life.
Should you buy a 2-in-1 or traditional laptop for drawing?
Recent 360-degree convertibles, like our favorite HP Specter x360 13, are excellent clamshell covers – in fact, it’s a huge competitor to the Dell XPS 13, even if you never end up flipping the screen.
Modern 2-in-1s are fast, have a long battery life, and often enjoy even better displays than typical flip-top laptops.
If you need a laptop for gaming or as a professional workstation, using the absolutely the fastest processors and GPUs, a 2-in-1 laptop probably won’t work.
As we mentioned below, 2-in-1s tend to be thinner and lighter because they can be used as whiteboards. That creates some limitations on how fast a 2-in-1 can run compared to traditional notebooks.
Does Apple make a 2-in-1 laptop?
Technically, no, Apple doesn’t make a 2-in-1 laptop. At least, not in the sense of a “real” PC running a full-featured desktop operating system.
The closest thing Apple has is the iPad Pro, which can be paired with an optional keyboard and turned into a laptop-like device as long as you can find an iOS app that meets your needs.
Apple is improving the iPad’s performance as a laptop by enabling mouse support and improved file system support in the new iPadOS.
The best laptops for drawing are often the ones with a touch screen. . With a hybrid design, these laptops can be used both as a productive laptop and as a tablet. For designers and drawing enthusiasts, they allow you to get more out of them by using a pencil.
- A Pen Is A Must– While you have the option of purchasing multiple stylus pens separately, if your laptop includes one, they are probably aimed at designers and people who draw. Such a product should easily be at the top of your list because it is comfortable to use, and the included stylus will work perfectly.
- Touchscreen sensitivity– If you’re buying the laptop online, consider visiting the brand’s showroom for a first-hand experience. Drawing is a nuanced art where every touch matters, and the screen needs to be highly responsive to select all the strokes you make with your S-pen or stylus.
- Color Reproduction Capability– Your device’s color palette should be accurate or at least close to the RGB spectrum . While not all are Adobe certified, they shouldn’t have a blue or yellow tint that will affect the quality of the work you do. Check the reviews and make sure the screen is neutral or color accurate.
- Hardware Specifications– Most software programs like Corel Draw , InDesign, and drawing programs require demanding hardware. Apple Mac is easily the best option, but the company does not have a touchscreen product and the necessary components are expensive and must be purchased separately.
- Slim, Light– A slim and light laptop is easy to take with you wherever you go if you are an artist and forced to travel to capture the essence of nature. If the slim laptop can deliver better battery life combined with powerful processing power, then it is the best option.
The 2-in-1 form factor has become very popular in recent years. It is no longer necessary to limit yourself to a traditional laptop , because in terms of performance the best 2-in-1 laptops live up to the expectations of almost all the most demanding users. Next we are going to present you a list of the most prominent ones, including Chromebooks, convertibles, and powerful 15-inch versions. Read on and discover which one best meets your needs.
Should you buy now or wait?
The market is full of great options, and we are convinced that the machines we list here will serve you well for years to come.
Performance, battery life, displays, and connectivity are top-notch, and these flexible machines will take care of everything you need them to do now and in the future.
How do we do the tests?
We spend a great deal of time reviewing laptops of all shapes and sizes, and that’s a very interesting thing today when laptops come in so many shapes, sizes, and configurations.
To make sure that our recommendations provide real value to our readers, we lived with laptops for a while and used them when writing our reviews and being able to assess how they will work for real users.
We have a method to our insanity by conducting these reviews, and you can look behind the scenes in a separate article. Hopefully, it will be obvious that our reviews are true labors of love, or hate, depending on the laptop, and therefore you can at least admit that we did not reach our conclusions without serious consideration.
Do I really need a touchscreen laptop to draw?
Yes, it is a must-have feature because without relying on external components you can get the job done on your laptop. In addition, it also allows you to turn the product into a tablet to consume content such as videos, movies, and music.
How important is a stylus to an artist?
A stylus included with the laptop is the best you can get. You can easily consider them the best drawing laptops to buy in 2021 because the manufacturer focuses on artists and people who draw. It is the reason they include a stylus with the product, and it may have additional features to make drawing easier.
How to maintain battery life while drawing?
You may consider reducing the brightness level on the laptop, which always helps to increase the battery life on any laptop. While there is no way to disable the touch screen function, unless you are drawing, use a mouse and keyboard to access Windows functions. Using an external sketchpad can also help maintain battery life.
What is an important feature to look for in a designer’s laptop?
Consider the screen’s brightness level as a key element because unless it’s bright at 300 nits or higher, it may not allow you to discern between colors. LED displays are amazing, but make sure the touchscreen response is great and if you include a stylus, it supports Adobe and sRGB color palette then it’s the best option for you.
Why should you go for a hybrid laptop?
A hybrid laptop is often closed, allowing you to use it as a tablet. The layout makes it easy to draw content with the pen and edit it in portable mode. They also work as a great entertainment device.
Earlier laptops come bundled with all the features present in a graphics tablet, so you don’t have to add any other external accessories or peripherals for your artwork. In short, you are looking for a laptop with a good touchscreen, accurate colors, and one that has a stylus capable of understanding different pressure levels. The laptop should also be powerful enough that your drawing software can run smoothly. It should be lightweight and portable, so you can take it with you too.